You need to be cautious while installing polycarbonate roofing sheets since any procedure which is not approved by the manufacturer will make your 10 year warranty be null and void. In most cases, whenever there is a defect; polycarbonate sheet suppliers will try to establish the installation technique which was used to determine whether you should be compensated or not. Polycarbonate roofing installation can be a simple process as long as you follow the recommended instructions. They can be installed on arched or gable structures.
Corrugated polycarbonate roofing sheets are flexible, making the entire process easy. You can make curves with a minimum radius of 158 inches effortlessly however, you should not install them to the point of buckling since this may result in the polycarbonate degradation. When it comes to horizontal installation, the upper sheet should overlap the lower sheet by about 3 to 4 inches. On the other hand, for the vertical overlap should have one corrugation which should be in the direction of the prevailing wind to minimize damage.
During the polycarbonate roofing installation, you will require several tools and equipment such as:
- Cutting tools; some of the most commonly used tools include a circular saw with between 10 and 12 teeth per inch or saber saw with a very fine blade. The surface should remain smooth with no elements of cracks.
- Drilling tools with a high-speed carbide tipped twist. Just like cutting tools, the surface should remain soft without any defects around the drilled hole.
- Other accessories such as self-tapping screws, wood-grip screws, clamps etc. They facilitate the installation process.
- Sealants; you should only use those sealants which have been recommended by the manufacture of the supplier. In most cases for a pitched roof, the roof cap may be constructed from aluminum or any other suitable material. You should follow the all the procedures as indicated by the manufacturers.
- Fasteners; during the polycarbonate roofing installation process; it is important to consider the direction of wind exposure. The polycarbonate sheet should be fastened on the structure using screws and nuts. However, they should have washers which have been manufactured from neoprene or any other material with a co-efficient of expansion is close to that of the polycarbonate panels. The washers should be placed on either side of the polycarbonate sheet. The hole should be slightly larger than the screw. This will allow the screw to expand and contract freely without affecting the polycarbonate material.
During the polycarbonate roofing installation process, you should refer to the manufacturer’s data sheet. This is where you will get all the information pertaining to the physical and chemical properties of the polycarbonate sheet.
Of course, you can opt to do-it-yourself (DIY) however; if you have never handled this process before, it is advisable that you hire an expert in polycarbonate panel installation. When you install these sheets appropriately, there are higher chances that the polycarbonate sheets will have a longer service life. In addition to this, in case there are any defects, your warranty will still be valid and you can claim for a new product.